Sunday 13 April 2014

Not taking this sitting down ..


  After reading a lot about disadvantages of sitting for longer periods of time, and hating the disgusted feeling of sitting for hours (even with short breaks in between), I  finally decided to stand while coding. Not full time, sweet spot for me seems about 4-5 hours. (Relevant reading). 

Today marks 30th day since I started doing it.

Setup:
I have two setups, one at home another at office. My home desk has two flat top surfaces at different heights (I'm unfamiliar with the parts-of-table terminology) as shown in this side profile - 


Monitor is on the topmost surface (red) and keyboard goes on a cardboard box on the lower black surface.
 
Office desk is somewhat different, it doesn't have a top surface so I just used old boxes to raise the height of the monitor. Monitor height is such that even if I sit in the chair the height is just about right so I don't have to adjust monitor (apart from changing the facing angle).

Changes felt:
  • General feeling of wellness/feeling more energetic (could be placebo effect) 
  • Better concentration for longer periods
  • Less occasional back pain

My recommendation: Try it! 

Here's this week's fav track (also check out other tracks in the same album)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?