Friday 25 April 2014

Why (sometimes) you shouldn't read IMDB discussions on movies

I take pride in my taste in movies (and a zillion other things, but forget that). The other day, I decided to watch Dan in Real Life simply after listening to this beautiful track Modern Nature by Sondre Lerche (and two positive reviews).


Towards the end it's a kind of feel good movie. Good in parts. Much better than average garbage. 

Then, I went back to IMDB site and read the discussion threads. People were quite mean and pointed out various flaws in the movie (some of which, on second thoughts, I agreed with). As a result, I felt I enjoyed the movie less, retrospectively. Since then I have decided not to read IMDB discussion threads unless the movie has a high (8+) rating. For 8+ movies, the discussions are more knowledgeable, bring out the hidden nuances, make you appreciate the movie more. For such movies, generally people have both positive and negative things to talk about. Even then, it is better to first have one's own opinion, before listening to others. Otherwise we'll become like this.


2 comments:

  1. I think people are more likely to rate a movie if they like it a lot or despise it a lot. Only the proper IMDB junkies rate ALL movies they watch.

    Thats why I feel movies with a low rating get a lot of hate comments. The movie offended a person so much that they decided to downvote it and hate comments are an extension of that disappointment/rage.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?